Thursday, September 16, 2010

Boobies. Yes, I said it. Boobies.

So I must be waaay behind on the news because I am just now hearing about how a couple of months ago Gisele Bundchen said in an interview that, "There should be a worldwide law...that mothers should breastfeed their babies for six months."

And people are outraged?? What in the world is wrong with people? Honestly, there is a negative focus on breastfeeding in this country and in is unbelievable to me.

I know some people are unable to breastfeed. I know this. However, I have came across so many people who are unwilling to even try. I've heard so many excuses ranging from "Well, I smoke" to "I want my husband to still be able to play with my boobs" to "I work too much". If you're a smoker shouldn't you stop while pregnant anyway?! It's the first of many selfless things you do as a parent. And  to the second...WOW! If I would have even said that to Todd as an excuse not to breastfeed he probably would've killed me. It is so important to have a partner who supports you in making wise choices for the health and well-being of your baby. And if you work take a dang pump with you and store your milk in a cooler or the fridge. Big deal. Take a few minutes every couple hours.

I only breastfed Landen for the first 4 and a half months of his life. And I regret it so much! But, people put such a negative connotation on breastfeeding, it can really bring you down. But I really would like to change that. At least within my small group of friends. It is so hard when you come home with a newborn baby and you have no idea what you're doing and your boobs are huge and they hurt! But, God didn't give us breasts for our husbands. They're for our children. And it is the healthiest thing for your baby. NOTHING is as healthy as breast milk. And no one can make me think that formula is even close. By the time I realized the real negative effects of formula on Landen my milk was gone. And I haven't gotten over it yet! There is nothing nice about your baby projectile vomiting across the room after every feeding (my son only threw up twice while on breast milk), or acid reflux (I've only heard of one baby whose Mommy breastfed and still had acid reflux), or constipation (Landen pooped a million times a day on Mommy's milk!).

I just want to get the word out there that it is a healthy and beautiful thing to breast feed. And I'd really like to get some sort of support system in Fountain/ Warren counties. Because, I was the first person in my family to breastfeed and I had no help! And who wants a pushy nurse shoving a screaming infant at your chest? Not me! So, if there are any other breastfeeding Mommy's out there who are proud, comment on this and let me know what you think about getting a support group together. Even if it's just a breastfeeding blog. And I'll leave you with some benefits of breastfeeding!!


Benefits of Breastfeeding

*Babies receive the most complete and optimal mix of nutrients and antibodies!
*Fewer incidents of vomiting and diarrhea
*Reduced risk of colic, constipation, and other stomach upsets.
*Reduced risk of childhood diabetes.
*Protection against ear infections, respiratory illnesses, pneumonia, bronchitis, kidney infections, and septicemia (blood poisoning).
*Protection against allergies, asthma, and eczema.
*Reduced risk of SIDS. Studies show that for every 87 deaths from SIDS, only 3 are breastfed.
*Protection against meningitis, botulism, childhood lymphoma, chron's disease, and ulcers.
*Decreased risk of tooth decay.
* Nursing promotes facial structure development, enhanced speech, straighter teeth, and enhanced vision.
*Breastfed infants have higher IQ's.
*Reduced risk of heart disease later in life.
*Increased bone density.
*Antibody response to vaccines are higher.
*Breastfed infants are hospitalized 10 times less in their first year of life.
*Less risk of childhood obesity!

And of course, there are benefits for Mom too!!

*Reduced risk of breast, ovarian, cervical, and endometrial cancers (we need all the help we can get!).
*Reduced risk of anemia.
*Helps delay the return of fertility. Which, means not getting pregnant for a little while. Of course, don't fully depend on this as a method of birth control.
*Breast milk is FREEEE!!!! Who doesn't love something free??


And the one you've all been waiting for...

*Helps Mom's body return to its pre-pregnancy shape faster! Promotes weight loss and you can burn 500- 1500 calories a day. Goodbye Cardio!


Now how can you beat all those benefits? You can't! So, just give it a shot! It might be the best decision you ever made! I think I am done with my rampage now!

7 comments:

  1. You have got to get with Cara! She breastfed both her babies!! She does alot of blogging about pregnancies, lamaze,and all about the babies!! You have to check out her blog!! And yes you are right, you are a very smart momma :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't breatfeed with Ethan, but if I were to have another, I would do it this time! I wasn't comfortable the first time around, but understanding everything that you go through with a baby now, I could focus on that more and be much more comfortable with myself in doing it! Basically, it's a totally natural-occuring thing just like childbirth in itself. Some can do it, some can't, some choose to, some choose not to. But it is a very important choice to make that should be made for the right reasons! Definitely should have NO laws put on it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Breastfeeding is amazing. What an awesome thing a mother can do for her child! God intended for babies to be nourished with breast milk.

    I had my first child at 24 and I nursed him for two months. I felt all alone and somewhat isolated. I am sorry that I did not try harder. He was three when I had Mallory. I swore that I would stick it out much longer, probably to the point that it was frowned upon by some people. I had Mallory August of 2001 and breastfed her until I delivered Addy in May of 2003. Then I nursed Addy until December of 2004 when I had spinal fusion surgery. Mitchell used to go around saying, "Boobies are for babies!"

    I suppose it is not for everyone. I think there should be a campaign dedicated to it. There are campaigns for other issues regarding newborns and infants. So why not have one for breastfeeding?

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I nursed Oliver only for a few weeks... we battled thrush (cracked bleeding nipples for me...) and it just didn't work out for us. He had to be on soy formula and liquid zantac for his reflux. That only happened after I put him on formula. With Liam I was rather laid back about nursing... if it worked, awesome! And it did. I nursed him until he weaned himself at 10 months. I think I gave him table food too soon. Eliza is 9.5 months and still nursing 4 times a day.

    I am not a mother that says if you don't nurse your children then you don't love them. Sometimes it doesn't work out. But I WISH I would have had someone there to cheer me on with Oliver. First time mothers really just don't know what to expect. Also, I will say that in my opinion, the bonding that takes place when nursing is not one that can be compared to bottle feeding. (Remember, I bottle fed my first... and I love him every bit as much as my other two children.) The bond is different... more physical in a lot of ways.

    I think the biggest struggle is with my family. They always ask when I am going to stop nursing. Almost like it weirds them out or something. I think breastfeeding is becoming more accepted for newborns but much after 4 or 5 months of age, people start looking at you like you have a 3rd eye or something.

    Anyway, thanks for posting about this and if you ever need help or suggestions... just let me know! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think that Gisele actually meant there should be a law on it. Obviously, I mean look at how hard it is for them to pass a healthcare law! But I think she is just a person who loves it and understands it. And I agree Sunny about how people think it's a little strange when they get around 4 or 5 months. It's actually most of the reason why I stopped with Landen! If we went anywhere I got weird looks and whispers and blah, blah, blah! But, this time will be different! I will not give up so easily! After all the problems I saw formula cause I'll never do it again unless I know I have to! And I know people get mastitis and sometimes women really don't produce any milk (my mother was one of those mommy's!) and other things. But I feel like most of the problem is that we don't try hard anymore because we don't have to! And when we do try it's people bringing us down! So, I am going to try my hardest and try to help my friends with it too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey there Bri... I just read this post and it's great! I feel your passion. And I ache that there isn't more support in your area and a general acceptance/comfort with breastfeeding. It's sad, but unfortunately, it's a cultural thing that will take some time to change. I know that in more rural areas like Fountain/Warren Counties, b'fing is not as accepted. You should run with your idea about starting up a support group-- seriously! Have you ever heard of La Leche League? They are sometimes referred to as breastfeeding nazis, and true they are really passionate, but they are a worldwide organization that has support groups all over the place. I found one in Lafayette: http://www.freewebs.com/llloflafayette/index.htm. I wonder what it would take to start a local support group in your area... might be worth getting in touch with them. Good luck... keep on spreading the word. The more people that talk about it, do it and show it as a normal and healthy thing, the more likely others are to be accepting. Catch me on Facebook if you want to chat more or ever need any birth/breastfeeding/pregnancy info. I work a lot with that in my job.

    ReplyDelete